Here’s my small checklist to setup a new installation of WordPress on my development server. It is not so generic that everyone will use it. But it does do a thorough job of covering pitfalls. A checklist makes sure that you haven’t skipped anything just in case you have a flat tire or are caught up in some random thoughts while initiating (not that it happens either ways).
Installation and configuration on the development server
- Install and setup WordPress on the development server.
- Put it into maintenance mode. I generally prefer using WP Maintenance Mode plugin by Designmodo for setting up coming soon / maintenance page.
- Place a custom tagline (to override Just another WordPress website) as per requirements, setup permalinks as per required URL structure.
- Head on to Reading settings, to set-up static home page, if a website needs a front page different from the blog.
- Rename “Uncategorized” category to “General”. Don’t forget to update it’s slug.
- Install a mobile-first, base theme for development or as per client’s request.
- Install and configure the plugins as required.
- Inform the client of the project initiation & development setup via email.
- Plan. Think it through. Start execution.
Backing-up the work regularly is not only a sign of preparedness, it’s also a sign of professionalism.