Weekends are to get the creative juices flowing. When Google Chrome was released I fell for it’s slick interface. And in an attempt to get our favorite Firefox flaunt the same I thought of this extension. You can scroll down to skip this info and install the extension right away. FfChrome may not be close to what this extension does and is planned to do but for now we’ll call it FfChrome – for those who like elegance. Suggestions are welcome and required – this could be a part of the license agreement in the future :). So here’s what it does.
- It will optimize your context menu and show the bare essential items.
- You can click on “Show All” and open context menu again to see other items. You can again collapse it to bare essentials on the fly.
- All disabled items are taken out by default. What will one do with the “paste” item when you haven’t copied anything?
- Ease of use – all changes happen on the fly.
- It is contextually sensitive. It knows and respects the context in which you use it. For e.g. context menu items relating to links or images etc. will only show when you right click on a link or an image etc.
Here are a few pics to show the difference. This is the default Firefox menu I have in my default profile.
After installing the extension it only shows the bare essential items. You do have an option to see all of them by clicking on Show All. You’ll need to open the context menu again.
You can expand them back and here’s what it looks like when expanded. Again, as earlier you can collapse it back.
And here’s what it looks like in Google Chrome. Of course we don’t show the disabled items which are of no use.
You must understand that this is a beta and if you have problems you should be comfortable disabling this extension from Tools > Addons > FfChrome > Disable button. You should also contribute and provide feedback about any bugs or any feature requests. Right now the extension is in infancy but your suggestions will help it mature and grow. Thanks for using FfChrome.
Install FfChrome for Firefox 3 – for those who like elegance (Right-click to download)